In late June, Fox News host Tucker Carlson asserted that the NSA was spying on him in an attempt to have his show removed from the air.
Now, a group of Republicans from the House of Representatives have sent a letter to the NSA demanding that information relating to an illegal investigation of Carlson be divulged.
Carlson Claims that private emails, and text messages are being accessed by the agency. He asserts that they are heavily monitoring his online communications.
“It’s illegal for the NSA to spy on American citizens, it’s a crime,” Tucker said. “It’s not a third-world country. Things like that should not happen in America.”
Carlson says that a whistleblower from inside the federal government informed him.
The Daily Caller gave a description of the letter request sent out by the Representatives.
- “A detailed description of the “limited exceptions” that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as it is used in its own tweet.
- A detailed description of what constitutes an “emergency” that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as used in its own tweet.
- A detailed description of “the foreign activities that could harm the United States”, as the Agency understands the phrase as used in its own tweet.
- A full explanation of when the Agency understands it is lawful to monitor, surveil, collect, unmask, or receive data on a US citizen without a court order explicitly authorizing such targeting, including while conducted in the course of targeting foreign powers.
- A detailed description of how the Agency defines “domestic terrorist” and when its mission could extend to targeting foreign powers who are corresponding with individuals defined as such.
- A detailed description of your understanding of the term “clandestine intelligence activities.”
- What specific actions have been taken to hold accountable those who unmasked, approved unmasking, or shared information on unmasked U.S. citizens?”
If any thing unlawful is occurring at the NSA, it will be incredibly difficult for the agency to cover it up now.